The Camel Trail is an 18 mile multi-use route available for walkers, cyclists and horse riders. It is flat and mostly suitable for disabled access.
The trail is based on an old railway track. The Padstow to Wadebridge line was opened in 1899 providing access to Waterloo via Launceston and Okehampton, but the section from Wadebridge to Poley’s Bridge is one of the oldest in the world and was opened in 1834 to bring sand from the estuary to the inland farms.
The Bodmin to Wadebridge mainline connection closed in 1967, while the freight only Bodmin to Poley’s Bridge section was closed in 1984.
The Camel Trail is managed through a Partnership involving Cornwall Council, and the Town and Parish Councils the Trail runs through along with the Padstow, Wadebridge and Bodmin Chambers of Commerce, Padstow Harbour Commissiners, Natural England, the Environment Agency and the Forestry Commission.